What Makes A Programming Language Good

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Jan 18 04:37:54 PST 2011

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 14:30:53 +0200, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
wrote:

> Vladimir Panteleev:
>
>> I think we have a misunderstanding, then? Who ensures that the modules
>> "just work"? If someone breaks something, are they thrown out of The
>> Holy
>> Repository?
>
> There is no single solution to such problems. It's a matter of creating
> rules and lot of work to enforce them as years pass.
> If you talk about Holy things you are pushing this discussion toward a
> stupid direction.

If a single entity controls the inclusion of submissions into an important
set, then there will inevitably be conflicts. Also I still have no idea
what you meant when you said that Python, Ruby and Perl do it. AFAIK their
repositories are open and anyone can submit their project.

>> I'm curious (not arguing), can you provide examples? I can't think of
>> any drastic
>> improvements to the package system.
>
> I was talking about fixing bugs, improving strength, maybe later adding
> super-packages, and generally taking a good look at the literature about
> the damn ML-style module systems and their theory.

I meant examples of why this is useful for D. (Why are you damning the
ML-style module systems?)

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net