What Makes A Programming Language Good

Jim bitcirkel at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 04:47:29 PST 2011

> >      dmd @cmd
> >
> > The only limit is the amount of memory in your system.
>
> That's not what I meant - I meant it doesn't scale as far as user effort
> in concerned. There is no reason why D should force users to maintain
> response files, make files, etc. D (the language) doesn't need them, and
> nor should the reference implementation.

I have to second that.

Your main.d imports abd.d which, in turn, imports xyz.d. Why can't the compiler traverse this during compilation in order to find all relevant modules and compile them if needed?

I imagine such a compiler could also do some interesting optimisations based on its greater perspective. The single file as a compilation unit seems a little myopic to me. Its reasons are historic, I bet.