What Makes A Programming Language Good

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:32:46 PST 2011

Interestingly, my own experience with Ruby, a few years ago, was
almost 180 degrees opposite of the blogger's.

The two most frustrating aspects were documentation and deployment.
The documents were sparse and useless and deployment was the
hugest headache I've ever experienced, in great part due to Rubygems
not working properly!

They've probably improved it a lot since then, but it reinforced
my long-standing belief that third party libraries are, more often
than not, more trouble than they're worth anyway.