What Makes A Programming Language Good

Adam Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 06:58:31 PST 2011

Vladimir Panteleev:
> I think [file/module name mismatches] is a misfeature.

Maybe. 9/10 times they match anyway, but I'd be annoyed if
the package names had to match the containing folder.

Here's what I think might work: just use the existing import
path rule. If it gets a match, great. If not, the user can always
manually add the other file to the command line anyway.

> I suppose you avoid using build tools and
> prefer makefiles/build scripts for some reason?

Yeah, makefiles and build scripts are adequately fit already.
That is, they don't suck enough to justify the effort of
getting something new.

I've thought about making an automatic build+download thing
myself in the past, but the old way has been good enough for me.

(If I were to do it, I'd take rdmd and add a little http download
facility to it. If you reference a module that isn't already there,
it'd look up the path to download it from a config file, grab it,
and try the compile. If the config file doesn't exist, it can grab
one automatically from a central location. That way, it'd be
customizable and extensible by anyone, but still just work out
of the box.

But, like I said, it stalled out because my classic makefile and
simple scripts have been good enough for me.)

> ...which won't work on Windows, for projects with packages, and if
> you have any unrelated .d files (backups, test programs) in your
> directory (which I almost always do).

Indeed.