What Makes A Programming Language Good

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 18 12:26:04 PST 2011

Jim wrote:
> Adam Ruppe Wrote:
>> Maybe. 9/10 times they match anyway, but I'd be annoyed if the package
>> names had to match the containing folder.
>
> This is enforced in some languages, and I like it. It'd be confusing if they
> didn't match when I would go to look for something.
>
> I think it would be a good idea for D to standardise this. Not only so that
> the compiler can traverse and compile but for all dev tools (static
> analysers, package managers, etc). Standardisation makes it easier to create
> toolchains, which I believe are essential for the growth of any language use.

Forcing the module name to match the file name sounds good, but in practice it
makes it hard to debug modules. What I like to do is to copy a suspicious module
to foo.d (or whatever.d) and link it in explicitly, which will override the
breaking one. Then, I hack away at it until I discover the problem, then fix the
original.