What Makes A Programming Language Good

Jim bitcirkel at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 18 13:04:09 PST 2011

Walter Bright Wrote:
> Forcing the module name to match the file name sounds good, but in practice it
> makes it hard to debug modules. What I like to do is to copy a suspicious module
> to foo.d (or whatever.d) and link it in explicitly, which will override the
> breaking one. Then, I hack away at it until I discover the problem, then fix the
> original.

This would admittedly impose some constraints, but I think it would ultimately be worth it. It makes everything much clearer and creates a bunch of opportunities for further development.

I'd create a branch (in git or mercury) for that task, it's quick and dirt cheap, very easy to switch to and from, and you get the diff for free.