D 2 target architectures

Ellery Newcomer ellery-newcomer at utulsa.edu
Tue Jan 18 13:26:21 PST 2011

On 01/17/2011 10:24 PM, new2d wrote:

> Why doesn't the "official" D compiler generate fast code? Is the main priority reliability or standards conformance? But.. I'll test how well GDC works with GCC 4.5 and 4.6.

My perception of DMD is that it may be adequately described as "Walter's
playground". One of his main priorities (and points of pride) is
efficiency of compilation, which is rather antithetical to reliability,
as is the fact that he's maintaining it nearly on his own.

Concerning standards, they exist more completely in Walter's head and in
the heads of others in the community than they do on paper or pixels
anywhere that I'm aware of.