What Makes A Programming Language Good

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Jan 18 21:37:49 PST 2011

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:17:08 +0200, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> IMO, sticking to the C-ism of "one object file at a time" and
>> dependency on external build tools / makefiles is the biggest mistake
>> DMD did in this regard.
>
> You don't need such a tool with dmd until your project exceeds a certain
> size. Most of my little D projects' "build tool" is a one line script
> that looks like:
>
>      dmd foo.d bar.d
>
> There's just no need to go farther than that.

Let's review the two problems discussed in this thread:

1) Not passing all modules to the compiler results in a
nearly-incomprehensible (for some) linker error.
2) DMD's inability (or rather, unwillingness) to build the whole program
when it's in the position to, which creates the dependency on external
build tools (or solutions that require unnecessary human effort).

Are you saying that there's no need to fix neither of these because they
don't bother you personally?

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net