What Makes A Programming Language Good

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Tue Jan 18 22:35:05 PST 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 08:09:11 +0200, Austin Hastings <ah08010-d at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> On 1/19/2011 12:50 AM, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 07:16:40 +0200, Austin Hastings
>> <ah08010-d at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> None of them worked.
>>
>> Most of those build utilities do exactly what make + your perl-foo do.
>>

> No, they don't.

Actually, you're probably right here. To my knowledge, there are only two
build tools that take advantage of the -deps compiler option - rdmd and
xfbuild. Older ones were forced to parse the source files - rebuild even
used DMD's frontend for that. There's also a relatively new tool (dbuild
oslt?) which generates makefiles.

> That's the point: I was _getting started_ with D2. I had no strong
> desire to reinvent the wheel, build tool-wise. But the tools I was
> pointed at just didn't work.

When a tool works for the author and many other users but not for you, you
have to wonder where the fault really is. Besides, aren't all these tools
open-source? The one time I had a problem with DSSS, it was easy to fix,
and I sent the author a patch and everyone was better off from it. Isn't
that how open-source works? :)

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net