Potential patent issues

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Wed Jan 19 11:20:49 PST 2011

Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:50:46 -0500, Jeff Nowakowski wrote:

> On 01/18/2011 05:52 PM, BlazingWhitester wrote:
>>
>> Walter, could you give some comments about this? Does dmd violate
>> anything?
>
> It's probably in Walter's best interest to not even look at it.
>
> On the one hand, it's probably a crap software patent that the Patent
> Office has been handing out like candy, and removing basic features that
> have been patented could cripple D. Whoever owns it might not decide to
> sue, Walter's implementation might not infringe, it might be
> invalidated, etc.
>
> On the other hand, if Walter is sued and found to have infringed the
> patent, and if he "willfully infringed", meaning he had knowledge of the
> patent, then he could face up to three times damages.

At least he knows it now unless he deliberately ignores all newsgroup
posts containing the word 'patent'. I think only C# and D market the
language with a feature 'delegate'. What's fun is that even if you're
right and there's prior art or the patent is way too trivial, the patent
trial can become very expensive.