What Makes A Programming Language Good

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Wed Jan 19 11:46:12 PST 2011

Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:41:47 +0000, Adam Ruppe wrote:

> retard wrote:
>> A build tool without any kind of dependency versioning support is a
>> complete failure.
>
> You just delete the old files and let it re-download them to update. If
> the old one is working for you, simply keep it.

I meant that if the latest version 0.321 of the project 'foobar' depends
on 'bazbaz 0.5.8.2' but also versions 0.5.8.4 - 0.5.8.11 (API but not ABI
compatible) and 0.5.9 (mostly incompatible) and 0.6 - 0.9.12.3 (totally
incompatible) exist, the build fails badly when downloading the latest
library. If you don't document the versions of the dependencies anywhere,
it's almost impossible to build to project even manually.