What Makes A Programming Language Good

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Jan 19 11:46:50 PST 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 21:41:47 +0200, Adam Ruppe <destructionator at gmail.com>
wrote:

> retard wrote:
>> A build tool without any kind of dependency versioning support is a
>> complete failure.
>
> You just delete the old files and let it re-download them to
> update. If the old one is working for you, simply keep it.

You're missing the point. You want to install package X (either directly
or as a dependency for something else), which was written for a specific
version of Y. Your tool will just download the latest version of Y and the
whole thing crashes and burns.

Someone posted this somewhere else in this thread, I believe it's quite
relevant: http://cdsmith.wordpress.com/2011/01/16/haskells-own-dll-hell/

--
Best regards,
  Vladimir                            mailto:vladimir at thecybershadow.net