DVCS

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Wed Jan 19 17:28:43 PST 2011

On 01/19/2011 04:18 PM, Gour wrote:

> That's why we wrote it would be better to use some rolling release
> like Archlinux where distro cannot become so outdated that it's not
> possible to upgrade easily.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FAQ :

"Q) Why would I not want to use Arch?

A) [...] you do not have the ability/time/desire for a 'do-ityourself'
GNU/Linux distribution"

I also don't see how Archlinux protects you from an outdated system.
It's up to you to update your system. The longer you wait, the more
chance incompatibilities creep in.

However, the tradeoff is that if you update weekly or monthly, then you
will spend more time encountering problems between upgrades. There's no
silver bullet here.

Personally, I think you should just suck it up, make a backup of your
system (which you should be doing routinely anyways), and upgrade once a
year.

The worst case scenario is that you re-install from scratch. It's
probably better to do that once in a while anyways, as cruft tends to
accumulate when upgrading in place.