What Makes A Programming Language Good

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 04:12:47 PST 2011

Am 20.01.2011 00:54, schrieb Adam D. Ruppe:
> Jesse Phillips wrote:
>> You can have the author release packaged libraries for developers
>> to use and the author should do this. So this begs the question of
>> what is the repository for?
>
> It's so you have a variety of libraries available at once with
> minimal hassle when you are originally writing something.
>
> I really don't care about those libraries' implementation details.
> I just want it so when I type "import something.lib;" in my
> program it actually works. If something.lib's author wants to
> use other.thing, great, I just don't want to think about it
> anymore than I think about his private classes or functions.
>

>> Why is the tool going out to different URLs and downloading files
>> when you are supposed to use the pre-built lib?

Pre-built libs aren't all that useful anyway, for several reasons:
1. Templates
2. different operating systems: there would have to be pre-built libs
for Windows, OSX, Linux and FreeBSD (if not even more)
3. different architectures: there would have to be pre-built libs for
x86, AMD64 and, thanks to GDC and LDC, for about any platform supported
by Linux..

Just provide source, so people can build their own libs from it or just
compile the sources like their own source files. This can still be done
automagically by the build-tool/package management.

Cheers,
- Daniel