DVCS

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Thu Jan 20 04:33:58 PST 2011

On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 06:39:08 -0500
Jeff Nowakowski <jeff at dilacero.org> wrote:

> No, I haven't tried it. I'm not going to try every OS that comes down
> the pike.

Then please, without any offense, do not give advises about something
which you did not try. I did use Ubuntu...

> So instead of giving you a bunch of sane defaults, you have to make a
> bunch of choices up front.

Right. That's why there is no need for separate distro based on DE
user wants to have, iow, by simple: pacman -Sy xfce4 you get XFCE
environment installed...same wit GNOME & KDE.

> That's a heavy investment of time, especially for somebody
> unfamiliar with Linux.

Again, you're speaking without personal experience...

Moreover, in TDPL's foreword, Walter speaks about himself as "..of an
engineer..", so I'm sure he is capable to handle The Arch Way (see
section Simplicity at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux)
which says: "The Arch Way is a philosophy aimed at keeping it
simple. The Arch Linux base system is quite simply the minimal, yet
functional GNU/Linux environment; the Linux kernel, GNU toolchain, and
a handful of optional, extra command line utilities like links and
Vi. This clean and simple starting point provides the foundation for
expanding the system into whatever the user requires." and from there
install one of the major DEs (GNOME, KDE or XFCE) to name a few.

> The upgrade problems are still there. *Every package* you upgrade has
> a chance to be incompatible with the previous version. The longer you
> wait, the more incompatibilities there will be.

There are no incompatibilities...if I upgrade kernel, it means that
package manager will figure out what components has to be updated...

Remember: there are no packages 'tagged' for any specific release!

> Highlighting the problem of waiting too long to upgrade. You're
> skipping an entire release. I'd like to see you take a snapshot of
> Arch from 2008, use the system for 2 years without updating, and then
> upgrade to the latest packages. Do you think Arch is going to
> magically have no problems?

I did upgrade on my father-in-law's machine which was more then 1yr
old without any problem.

You think there must be some magic to handle it...ask some FreeBSD
user how they do it. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: CDBF17CA