What Makes A Programming Language Good

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 05:58:28 PST 2011

Am 20.01.2011 14:48, schrieb Adam Ruppe:
>> Pre-built libs aren't all that useful anyway, for several reasons:
>
> By "pre-built" I mean all the source is in one place, so the
> compile Just Works, not necessarily being pre-compiled.
>
> So if you downloaded mylib.zip, every file it needs is in there. No
> need to separately hunt down random.garbage.0.5.3.2.tar.xz as well.
>
> Bascially, the developer can compile it on his machine. He sends
> me the files he used to build it all in one place. That way, it
> is guaranteed to work - everything needed is right there.

Ah, ok.
I'd prefer a dependency-system though, so if mylib needs
random.garbage.0.5.etc it should fetch it from the repository as well.
So when there's a non-breaking security update to random.garbage, mylib
automatically gets it upon rebuild.

However, when there are breaking changes, random.garbage needs a new
version (e.g. 0.6.etc instead of 0.5.etc).