Potential patent issues

Don nospam at nospam.com
Fri Jan 21 06:51:39 PST 2011

Don wrote:
> BlazingWhitester wrote:
>> I spotted some patents that can theaten current DMD implementation.
>> Wanted to clarify things.
>>
>> http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6185728.pdf - this patent describes
>> method pointers implementation (delegates)
>
> This was obviously a patent aimed at protecting Delphi from VB. It's all
> about the RAD designer: visual connections between GUI elements and
> events has a 1:1 correspondence with code; delegates are used to achieve
> this.
>
> D delegates can store a data pointer to a nested function, or to an
> object. This is rather more general (not an object-oriented feature),
> and doesn't provide a 1:1 correspondence to visuals.
> I presume they were only able to satisfy the requirements for novelty
> and non-obviousness, because of the RAD usage. In fact, there doesn't
> seem to be any suggestion that delegates would be used for anything else.
> The more general idea of storing a data pointer and a function pointer
> together is simple and obvious, and surely has prior art.

D's delegate scheme is essentially the same as described by Richard
Hickey, "C++ report" (Feb 1995).

See also a discussion on comp.std.c++, Feb 1996, titled "Generic Object
Callbacks". Ian Willmott states:
"I suggest that a new data type needs to be added to the language. We
could call it "pointer-to-bound-member-function".
Conceptually, it is a two-element structure consisting of
pointer into data space, identifying an object, and a pointer into
code space, identifying a member function on that object. The static
type of such a variable is the signature (return type and arguments)
of the member functions it is compatible with, just as the type of a
regular function pointer is the signature of the functions it can
reference. The only operations defined for this type are assignment,
equality, and callthrough. Static typechecking is done at the point
where a value of this type is created, and where a call is made
through it. "

Borland's patent dates from Feb 6, 2001. They were SIX YEARS too late.
<g>