Potential patent issues

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:31:58 PST 2011

On 01/21/2011 09:18 PM, Daniel Gibson wrote:
> You're thinking of closures (which are also "delegates" in D), but D's
> delegates can also be used to simple point to a member of an object.
> It's kind of hidden in the definition:
>
> "Delegates to non-static nested functions contain two pieces of data:
> the pointer to the stack frame of the lexically enclosing function
> (called the frame pointer) and the address of the function.
> _This is analogous to struct/class non-static member function delegates
> consisting of a this pointer and the address of the member function._
> Both forms of delegates are interchangeable, and are actually the same
> type: [...]"

Thank you for the information, Daniel. You are right: I didn't even know
"delegate" is used in the second sense. Then, what is he difference
between a delegate in the second sense and a (non-static) "member
function" (I mean a method)?
Or is "delegate" the name of the data structure (implementation side)
and "member function" or "method" the name of what it holds or means
(semantic side)?

Denis