DVCS

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Jan 21 22:35:55 PST 2011

Gour wrote:
> Otoh, with Ubuntu, upgrade from 8.10 to 10.10 is always a major
> undertaking (I'm familiar with it since  '99 when I used SuSE and had
> experience with deps hell.)

I finally did do it, but as a clean install. I found an old 160G drive, wiped
it, and installed 10.10 on it. (Amusingly, the "About Ubuntu" box says it's
version 11.04, and /etc/issue says it's 10.10.)

I attached the old drive through a usb port, and copied everything on it into a
subdirectory of the new drive. Then, file and directory by file and directory, I
moved the files into place on my new home directory.

The main difficulty was the . files, which litter the home directory and gawd
knows what they do or are for. This is one reason why I tend to stick with all
defaults.

The only real problem I've run into (so far) is the sunbird calendar has been
unceremoniously dumped from Ubuntu. The data file for it is in some crappy
binary format, so poof, there goes all my calendar data. Why do I bother with
this crap. I think I'll stick with the ipod calendar.

Phobos1 on 10.10 is dying in its unit tests because Ubuntu changed how gcc's
strtof() works. Erratic floating point is typical of C runtime library
implementations (the transcendentals are often sloppily done), which is why more
and more Phobos uses its own implementations that Don has put together.