easy to upgrade OS (was Re: DVCS)

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Fri Jan 21 22:55:51 PST 2011

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 22:35:55 -0800
Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

Hello Walter,

> I finally did do it, but as a clean install. I found an old 160G
> drive, wiped it, and installed 10.10 on it. (Amusingly, the "About
> Ubuntu" box says it's version 11.04, and /etc/issue says it's 10.10.)

in last few days I did a little research about 'easy-to-admin OS-es'
and the result of it is: PC-BSD (http://www.pcbsd.org/) or Ubuntu-like
PC-BSD with a GUI installer. The possible advantage is that here OS
means kernel+tools which are strictly separated fro the other 'add-on'
packages which should guarantee smooth upgrade.

Moreover, PC-BSD deploys so called PBI installer which installs every
'add-on' package with complete set of required libs preventing
upgrade-breakages.

Of course, some more HD space is wasted but this will be resolved in
June/July 9.0 release where such add-on packages will use kind of
spool of common-libs, but the main OS is still kept intact.

I'm very seriously considering to put PC-BSD on my desktop and of
several others in order to reduce my admin-time required to maint. all
those machines.

Finally, there is latest dmd2 available in 'ports' and having you on
PC-BSD will make it even better. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Hlapicina, Croatia  | GPG key: CDBF17CA