DVCS

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sat Jan 22 23:15:01 PST 2011

Sat, 22 Jan 2011 14:47:48 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> retard wrote:
>> Does the new Ubuntu overall work better than the old one? Would be
>> amazing if the media players are still all broken.
>
> I haven't tried the sound yet, but the video playback definitely is
> better.
>
> Though the whole screen flashes now and then, like the video mode is
> being reset badly. This is new behavior.

Ubuntu probably uses Compiz if you have enabled desktop effects. This
might not work with ati's (open source) drivers. Turning Compiz off makes
it use a "safer" 2d engine. In Gnome the setting can be changed here
http://www.howtoforge.com/enabling-compiz-fusion-on-an-ubuntu-10.10-
desktop-nvidia-geforce-8200-p2

It's the "none" option in the second figure.