Will D ever get to a true 1.0 release? When?

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 08:47:49 PST 2011

Rob Wrote:

> Will D ever get to a true 1.0 release? If so, when? Specifying 1.0 and
> 2.0 seems rather gratuitous (or typos?). More appropriate may indeed be
> 0.1 and 0.2. All the hand-waving about this great new automobile, yet it
> has no wheels, or square ones!

What is wrong with the current 1.0 version? If I assume your complaint is related to D2 having new features and not be backwards compatible with v1.0? Such discussions have taken place in the past and 1.0 was considered an arbitrary stopping point. But versions are pretty arbitrary anyway. The fact that it is still receiving bug fixes makes it a good candidate as a whole number version.

If you are complaining about the idea that D2 has removed features without an adequate replacement. At this point it is mainly D2 can't deviate from what is written in TDPL and for the most part their is no reason to. But the compiler still needs to catch up to the book.