Showing unittest in documentation (Was Re: std.unittests [updated] for review)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 12:37:07 PST 2011

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:20:13 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

>>> I see. I understand that it does not have high priority. Just wondered
>>> whether ...
>>>
>>> Jens
>>
>> The change is much simpler than what Jonathan suggests. A change can be
>> made such that any unittest preceded by a documentation comment is
>> automatically considered an example.
>>
>> /**
>> Example:
>> */
>> unittest
>> {
>> writeln("This is how it works.");
>> }
>>

>> Andrei
>
> BTW I consider this a very important topic. We have _plenty_ of examples
> that don't work and are not mechanically verifiable. The reasons range
> from minor typos to language changes to implementation limitations.
> Generally this is what they call "documentation rot". This is terrible
> PR for the language.
>
> Changing ddoc to recognize documentation unittests would fix this matter
> once and forever.
>
> Last but not least, the "----" separators for code samples are awful
> because no editor recognizes them for anything - they confuse the hell
> out of Emacs for one thing.

This only makes sense if:

1. The unit test immediately follows the item being documented
2. The unit test *only* tests that item.

The second one could be pretty annoying.  Consider cases where several
functions interact (I've seen this many times on Microsoft's
Documentation), and it makes sense to make one example that covers all of
them.  Having them 'testable' means creating several identical unit tests.

One way to easily fix this is to allow an additional parameter to the
comment:

/**
Example(Foo.foo(int), Foo.bar(int)):
*/
unittest
{
    auto foo = new Foo;
    foo.foo(5);
    foo.bar(6);
    assert(foo.toString() == "bazunga!");
}

The above means, copy the example to both Foo.foo(int) and Foo.bar(int)

An alternative that is more verbose, but probably more understandable:

/**
Example:
Covers Foo.foo(int)
Covers Foo.bar(int)
*/

Of course, a lack of target just means it applies to the item just
documented.

One other thing, using writefln is considered bad form in unit tests (you
want *no* output if the unit test works).  But many examples might want to
demonstrate how e.g. an object interacts with writefln.  Any suggestions?
The assert line above is not very pretty for example...

-Steve