Is D still alive?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jan 26 12:11:06 PST 2011

"Steven Schveighoffer" <schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:op.vpxkvij9eav7ka at steve-laptop...
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:25:10 -0500, Fab <fab-coding at web.de> wrote:
>
>> Are there any continued database projects?
>
> AFAIK, there is very little DB support (which will definitely need to be
> addressed before D is considered a complete language) for D2.  However,
> you *always* have support via C bindings.  D has zero-overhead binding to
> C functions, all you need to do is port the declarations to D.
>
> If you are using D1, there are several projects, I don't think many of
> them are up to date:
>
> http://prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?DatabaseBindings

Adam Ruppe and Piotr Szturmaj have recently been working on some database
stuff. See the recent thread "Can your programming language do this?"

>> So - is there any reason to change to D? I would ... I really would
>> change if
>> there were more points than a nice language. I don't buy a good car if
>> it's to
>> expensive - so: is D as precious as its pretend to be?
>
> I will warn you, once you start using D, you will not want to use
> something else.  I cringe every day when I have to use PHP for work.

So very true :)

> I would say it is not ready for prime-time yet.  It has a way to go, but
> some have managed to build pretty impressive applications from it.  So it
> would depend on your application.

Personally, I think that even though D still has some things to be worked
out, I think it's *still* far better than any of the other more mature
languages.