Is D still alive?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Jan 26 12:32:54 PST 2011

"Fab" <fab-coding at web.de> wrote in message
news:ihpv7r$272q$1 at digitalmars.com...
> In addition you have to know for what I want to use D.
> I want to code little games (2D: Jump'n'Run) and I want to use D for
> scholastic
> use - drawing plots, calculating functions, ... and so on.
>
> You see: I want to use D for private and for scholastic purposes.

For games, there are SDL and SFML bindings for D. You may also want to look
at the Derelict project which includes bindings for a bunch of useful
libraries. For plots/charts/graphs/etc, you should look at the
humorously-named "Plot2Kill" library.

Personally, I think D would be great for small games, private uses and
scholastic uses. In fact, even *way* back *before* D1, Kenta Cho made some
very good freeware games in D, like Torus Trooper and TUMIKI Fighters (ie,
the original version of Blast Works).

The areas where D is still a little behind are: If you *need* to be able to
compile *native* 64-bit code (32-bit will still work on a 64-bit machine/OS,
of course). If you need to create shared dynamic libraries (ie, .dll and
.so). If you need to link with Windows C .obj and .lib files that were
compiled with anything other than DMC. If you need to use a graphical
GUI-builder tool. Or if you want to use something similar to Rails or Django
to create web apps.