Git Contributors Guide (Was: Re: destructor order)

Ulrik Mikaelsson ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 09:17:50 PST 2011

2011/1/27 Vladimir Panteleev <vladimir at thecybershadow.net>:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 00:26:22 +0200, Ulrik Mikaelsson
> <ulrik.mikaelsson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The way I will show here is to gather up your changes in a so-called
>> "bundle", which can then be sent by mail or attached in a bug-tracker.
>> First, some terms that might need explaining.
> Many open-source projects that use git use patches generated by the
> format-patch command. Just type "git format-patch origin". Unless you have a
> LOT of commits, patches are better than binary bundles, because they are
> still human-readable (they contain the diff), and they also preserve the
> metadata (unlike diffs).
>
> You can even have git e-mail these patches to the project's mailing list.
> The second and following patches are sent as a "reply" to the first patch,
> so they don't clutter the list when viewed in threading mode.

True. The only problem with this, I think, is getting the patch out
from web-based mail-readers. Key-parts of the metadata about the
commit lies in the mail-header, which might not always be easily
accessible in web-readers. Also, send-email is for some reason no
longer included in the git-version that comes with Ubuntu 10.10.
Perhaps it's been removed in later versions of git.