More on the necessity and difficulty of a package management system

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Jan 27 09:20:03 PST 2011

On 2011-01-27 00:06, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> D's deployment is helped a lot by being compiled. We could just
> use native package systems (deb, rpm; whatever works for C works
> for D too) and/or static linking to ease the case of pushing
> something to a live server with zero* outside dependencies.

That basically only works for Linux. On Mac OS X there is Macports but
you would have to install that. On Windows there is no package
management system available. Even if there was a package management
system available on all three platforms you would still need to deploy
to all these three.

--
/Jacob Carlborg