Hot for dmd 64bit

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 11:02:03 PST 2011

Am 27.01.2011 19:56, schrieb Eric Poggel:
> On 1/27/2011 1:32 AM, dwilson wrote:
>> Beside praying and pestering, what can we D non-experts do to help get a
>> stable 64-bit dmd available?
>>
>> Killer D features are strings, slick built in dynamics arrays, no headers
>> files to keep in sync, and the
>> other nice features often praised by others.   I'm not sure yet that D is my
>> favorite language, but it's in
>> the list of top three.
>>
>> Killing D (at least for me) is the limit choices for compiling on 64-bit Linux
>> with D2 and preferably Phobos
>> instead of Tango.  My setup, for reasons I haven't investigated deeply, can't
>> run 32-bit anything, and I do
>> intend to work on huge arrays of data, a few GB in RAM.  As for Phobos, it's
>> obviously more Mars-related
>> than "Tango" :)
>>

> When 64-bit dmd arrives for Windows, what will be used for a linker? Will
> optlink be ported also?

If it will depend on optlink it will probably take ages until a win64 version is
ready, because optlink is (mostly) written in assembler..

I guess it would be smart to output object files compatible to the windows port
of the gnu linker (from MingW), so this can be used and you can link in object
files from GCC/MinGW (otherwise DMC would need a 64bit port as well - don't know
if that is planned).