Why Ruby?

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Fri Jan 28 03:42:38 PST 2011

On 21/12/2010 20:46, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:50:21 -0500, Bruno Medeiros
> <brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail> wrote:
>
>> In a less extreme view, it is not about controlling stupidity, but
>> controlling creativity (a view popular amongst "artist"/"painter"
>> programmers). So here the programmers are not dumb, but still they
>> need to be kept in line with rules, constraints, specifications,
>> strict APIs, etc.. You can't do anything too strange or out of the
>> ordinary, and the language is a reflection of that, especially with
>> regards to restrictions on dynamic typing (and other dynamic stuff
>> like runtime class modification).
>
> Those aren't bugs, they are the artistic qualities of my program! It's a
> statement on the political bias against bugs, I mean most people kill
> bugs without a second thought!
>
> ;)
>
> -Steve

I'm not sure if my meaning was fully understood thete, but I wasn't
implying it was a programmer tried to masquerade problems in code by
saying it is "artistic" or something.
Rather it was a not-so-thinly veiled reference (and critique) of Paul
Graham's "painter" hacker/programmer archetype.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer