Decision on container design

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Jan 28 10:31:58 PST 2011

Today after work I plan to start making one pass through std.container.
After having thought of things for a long time, my conclusions are as
follows:

1. Containers will be classes.

2. Most of the methods in existing containers will be final. It's up to
the container to make a method final or not.

3. Containers and their ranges decide whether they give away references
to their objects. Sealing is a great idea but it makes everybody's life
too complicated. I'll defer sealing to future improvements in the
language and/or the reflection subsystem.

4. Containers will assume that objects are cheap to copy so they won't
worry about moving primitives.

Any showstoppers, please share.

Andrei