Suggestion: New D front page

Christopher Bergqvist spambox0 at digitalpoetry.se
Sat Jan 29 04:56:10 PST 2011

Hi!

I have been putting some free time into creating a "design skeleton" for a
new http://d-programming-language.org<http://www.d-programming-language.org/>
front
page:
http://digitalpoetry.se/D%20website/D%20overview%20design.png

My main concern is presenting newcomers with an inspiring and relevant first
impression of D. I think there is lots to gain by having a more alive front
page not based on Ddoc (the rest of the site could still be based on it).

I have not attempted adding any visual style to the design myself since its
not one of my strengths. It should be made to fit better with the overall
theme of d-programming-language.org (although IMO it's currently a bit too
dark and foreboding).

I must confess to being heavily inspired by http://ooc-lang.org and
http://cobra-language.com.

As creating this would take a significant time investment, I suggest that
some more complex sections of the page could be released after the initial
version. I have some background in web development but have been almost
exclusively doing professional C++ games development during the last 4
years. I would not mind putting some more work into this but am also hopeful
that some others in the D community desire to contribute.

Constructive feedback with a minimum of bikeshedding is welcome.
(Please avoid discussions about specific textual content for now, its just
placeholders).

Cheers,
Chris