Suggestion: New D front page

Tomek Sowiński just at ask.me
Sat Jan 29 05:24:25 PST 2011

Christopher Bergqvist napisał:

> Hi!
>
> I have been putting some free time into creating a "design skeleton" for a
> new http://d-programming-language.org<http://www.d-programming-language.org/>
> front
> page:
> http://digitalpoetry.se/D%20website/D%20overview%20design.png
>
> My main concern is presenting newcomers with an inspiring and relevant first
> impression of D. I think there is lots to gain by having a more alive front
> page not based on Ddoc (the rest of the site could still be based on it).
>
> I have not attempted adding any visual style to the design myself since its
> not one of my strengths. It should be made to fit better with the overall
> theme of d-programming-language.org (although IMO it's currently a bit too
> dark and foreboding).
>
> I must confess to being heavily inspired by http://ooc-lang.org and
> http://cobra-language.com.
>
> As creating this would take a significant time investment, I suggest that
> some more complex sections of the page could be released after the initial
> version. I have some background in web development but have been almost
> exclusively doing professional C++ games development during the last 4
> years. I would not mind putting some more work into this but am also hopeful
> that some others in the D community desire to contribute.
>
> Constructive feedback with a minimum of bikeshedding is welcome.
> (Please avoid discussions about specific textual content for now, its just
> placeholders).

Believe it or not but there was a time when the D page welcomed users with beautiful exemplary code, but as time went by it got pushed off by quotes, current status, news, etc. Looking back, it may have been the reason why I didn't say "oh.. um.. NEXT!" and stayed with D :)

I think we need to go back to the roots.

--
Tomek