Suggestion: New D front page

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 07:02:30 PST 2011

On 01/29/2011 01:56 PM, Christopher Bergqvist wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have been putting some free time into creating a "design skeleton" for a
> new http://d-programming-language.org<http://www.d-programming-language.org/>
> front
> page:
> http://digitalpoetry.se/D%20website/D%20overview%20design.png
>
> My main concern is presenting newcomers with an inspiring and relevant first
> impression of D. I think there is lots to gain by having a more alive front
> page not based on Ddoc (the rest of the site could still be based on it).
>
> I have not attempted adding any visual style to the design myself since its
> not one of my strengths. It should be made to fit better with the overall
> theme of d-programming-language.org (although IMO it's currently a bit too
> dark and foreboding).
>
> I must confess to being heavily inspired by http://ooc-lang.org and
> http://cobra-language.com.
>
> As creating this would take a significant time investment, I suggest that
> some more complex sections of the page could be released after the initial
> version. I have some background in web development but have been almost
> exclusively doing professional C++ games development during the last 4
> years. I would not mind putting some more work into this but am also hopeful
> that some others in the D community desire to contribute.
>
> Constructive feedback with a minimum of bikeshedding is welcome.
> (Please avoid discussions about specific textual content for now, its just
> placeholders).

A great improvement!

Still needs some talk about the welcome page structure, content, & organisation.
Maybe a short paragraph on top about the language itself: what it wants (not)
to be.
All more specific info should be placed on dedicated pages pointed from there
--including announcements & commits: that is not what newcomers /first/ wish to
find; for others, it's only one click away. Pointers to presentation,
introduction, tutorials, should be in good, obvious, place; inside "Get
Started" probably. Pointers to language & library refs should also be present
for advanced programmers or language designers wishing a more technical
description.
+++ for code sample, "Zen of D" (complementary to short paragraph evoked
above), & "Featured Projects".

I'd see:

====================================
          D prog lang
             -- motto

... short presentation paragraph ...

---             ---              ---
| code sample    |      Zen of D   |
---             ---              ---

---                              ---
|            Get Started	   |

| pointers       | Feat. Projects  |

           logos
        legal thing

May not be so "squarely" laid out ;-)

Then only, discuss about actual contents and style.

Denis