Suggestion: New D front page

David Gileadi gileadis at NSPMgmail.com
Sat Jan 29 07:04:09 PST 2011

On 1/29/11 5:56 AM, Christopher Bergqvist wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have been putting some free time into creating a "design skeleton" for
> a new http://d-programming-language.org
> <http://www.d-programming-language.org/> front page:
> http://digitalpoetry.se/D%20website/D%20overview%20design.png
>
> My main concern is presenting newcomers with an inspiring and relevant
> first impression of D. I think there is lots to gain by having a more
> alive front page not based on Ddoc (the rest of the site could still be
> based on it).
>
> I have not attempted adding any visual style to the design myself since
> its not one of my strengths. It should be made to fit better with the
> overall theme of d-programming-language.org
> <http://d-programming-language.org> (although IMO it's currently a bit
> too dark and foreboding).
>
> I must confess to being heavily inspired by http://ooc-lang.org
> <http://ooc-lang.org/> and http://cobra-language.com
> <http://cobra-language.com/>.
>
> As creating this would take a significant time investment, I suggest
> that some more complex sections of the page could be released after the
> initial version. I have some background in web development but have been
> almost exclusively doing professional C++ games development during the
> last 4 years. I would not mind putting some more work into this but am
> also hopeful that some others in the D community desire to contribute.
>
> Constructive feedback with a minimum of bikeshedding is welcome.
> (Please avoid discussions about specific textual content for now, its
> just placeholders).
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

I like it.  As the guy responsible for the rather "dark and foreboding"
current look and feel of the current d-programming-language.org I'd be
happy to work to make this fit the current look and feel as well as
alter the look and feel to match this direction.  It is very much in
line with ideas I've had for improving the welcome page.

I'm currently a web dev guy and wouldn't mind contributing time to help
develop the necessary code.  Andrei or others, if you like this
direction could you let us know what web technologies/languages your
server supports?