Suggestion: New D front page

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 29 16:02:32 PST 2011

On 1/29/2011 3:50 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> I love how errors propagate from D to HTML, just like from PHP.
>
> Yeah, a boring Internal Server Error would be hell to figure
> out what's going on, so it outputs the exception.toString. It
> can also be hooked to give a styled error screen too!

Exposing those sorts of errors directly to users is easy and handy during the early stages, but really ought to just be
in the website logs.  Exceptions and other internal state leaks like that are both ugly and can potentially point to
exploitable security issues.

> The site now loads again, now with automatic reading from
> digitalmars.D.announce!

For a site with any traffic, placing load on a remote site like that is fairly rude.  I suggest re-thinking that design
before it causes problems.  A periodic cron job that caches the data locally would be a good alternative.

I realize this is a young project and it might not go anywhere, but it's usually easier to get off on the right foot
than scramble to fix things later.

My 2 cents,
Brad