Smartphones and D

jim_g example at example.org
Sat Jan 29 22:19:29 PST 2011

Jonathan M Davis Wrote:

> On Saturday 29 January 2011 21:45:33 jim_g wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I'm currently doing business with 4 commercial applications on Android 2.1+
> > and iPhone 3GS+. One of the current problems is that we're facing the
> > limits of performance especially when developing Java which is interpreted
> > on the oldest hardware. Thanks to reddit I read about D recently and it
> > seems to hit the head of the nail squarely. I've used to think that more
> > performance means less "power" in the language when thinking in ways of
> > simplicity (easy to read), high level language features (nameless
> > functions) and so on. BUT D has it all in a nice package and solves all
> > these issues.
> >
> > My question is, how well does D support ARMv6 and ARMv7? I'd like to make
> > full use of auto-vectorization and inlining when doing foreach loops,
> > iterators with inline predicates, and array operations. Our problem with C
> > on ARM is that many compilers are still far from good. We wouldn't want to
> > buy a commercial compiler unless it's really worth its salt. Reading this
> > newsgroup revealed that D uses some kind of thing called 'lowerings' for
> > optimizing high level features. Does this avoid all these complex bugs?
> >
> > Another question is, does D have any tutorials for building stuff on ARM?
> > Any Android/iOS bindings anywhere? Has anyone done any Android/iPhone
> > development in D? Would you recommend D instead of C/C++ for these
> > platforms? If not, how long will it take before D beats C/C++ on these
> > platforms? How I see it is there's not much time left to earn big money on
> > these. Some popular applications already become (adware) free because of
> > piracy and competition.
>
> gdc or LDC might be able to build for ARM. I don't know. But dmd is x86 only
> (with x86_64 on the way). So, at the moment, you're not going to be able to
> build for ARM using dmd. I suspect that gdc can do it, since it's using gcc for
> its backend, but I don't know.
>
> There's probably a good chance that dmd will support ARM _eventually_ - as long
> as there's sufficient demand for it - but I doubt that it will any time soon. I
> expect that there are too many other things that need to be done for it to be a
> high priority at the moment.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Thanks for the reply. In my opinion this is a huge shame. The x86 market is oversaturated with languages, but if you're doing something "exotic", there's only C/C++. Btw ARM isn't especially exotic. Most portable devices except laptops have used it for years. While there are many language platforms for smartphones, for example Java, C#, Obj-C, C, C++, JavaScript, and Python, none of these are especially high level and performance oriented at the same time.

 = jim =