review for unittests

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Jan 30 00:11:42 PST 2011

On Saturday 29 January 2011 23:45:24 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Jonathan, I won't continue debating this. There is something to be said
> about picking one's fights, and that goes both ways. I will only say this.
>
> Phobos is a team effort. As such, there is a simple necessity to find
> ways to live and let live in relative harmony. This means conforming to
> conventions that are not the most comfortable to us (that includes me;
> my favorite bracing is the one in TDPL, but when I write Phobos code I
> use Walter's). Also, there is sometimes a need to conform to authority
> that we might sometimes not agree with; but as certain decisions are
> subjective, some de facto authority must make some decisions to simply
> keep the style somewhat consistent. It's unclear how authority comes
> about but it's reasonable to say that Walter's and my word have a
> somewhat larger weight because we wrote most of Phobos.
>
> I consider code that goes over 80 columns problematic, and I refactor it
> when I have the chance. This means that your commits mean more work for
> me. If you chose to use 80 columns, you'd be nice towards me and
> probably the other Phobosians, and you would get used to a widely used
> convention, which improves your adaptability to various workplaces.

I do consider restricting code to 80 characters overly restrictive. I've hated
it when I've had to program that way, and I think that the convention is
outdated and that it should die. And most everyone I've ever discussed it with
has generally agreed with me (though obviously not everyone).

However, I _have_ had to code that way before (much as I fully believe that it
tends to result in badly formatted code), and I can code that way in Phobos if
that's what is insisted upon. It's just not what I do naturally, and if I have
any say in a coding standard, I argue vehemently against it.

So, if you insist upon it. Fine, I'll code that way for Phobos. I'm certainly
not looking to cause trouble for anyone else. We're all stuck coding in ways
that we don't like at least some of the time. But there's no question that being
restricted to 80 columns is something that I consider to be very disagreeable.

- Jonathan M Davis