Suggestion: New D front page

Christopher Bergqvist spambox0 at digitalpoetry.se
Sun Jan 30 03:35:25 PST 2011

bearophile:
- Thank you for making me aware of skywriter/Ace. I am all for using
that as long as it doesn't incur significantly longer load-times for
the page.
- My opinion is that "D Zen" is something newcomers are interested in
reading before delving any further into download & videos.

Denis:
- I was thinking that the "D Zen" section should serve to introduce
the language, so maybe it could be changed to include your paragraph,
or maybe we should remove the motto and have your paragraph instead to
keep it less crowded.
- Announcements & commits are mainly there to show that the language
is in fact very much alive.
- I was thinking that the links at the top would be used by recurring
users to get to library refs etc without scrolling. Maybe they could
be mouse-over drop down menus to keep the page less crowded but at the
same time reduce the number of page-jumps. Drop downs could be hard to
get to behave though.

David Gileadi:
Thank you for the support! It's becoming more apparent to me that the
darker look is appreciated by a part of the audience (Russel, Tomek
etc), so I understand the current design.

Andrei:
I'm happy that you like the direction!

Adam D. Ruppe:
- The idea of building the page in D itself seemed like wishful
thinking to me. Your rapid progress is jaw-dropping! I did not know
that there already existed such powerful web libraries for D, good
job! Sandboxing would be the main issue of using such a powerful
language as I see it, so running the compiler in a VM seems like a
good step.
- I like the idea of rotating code samples, but I think a "More
examples"-link to get to a page or set of pages dedicated to examples
would be better than tabs.

Since Walter's word is one of the heaviest around here, I wonder what
his thoughts are on this?