Smartphones and D

Denis Koroskin 2korden at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 05:14:37 PST 2011

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 15:29:54 +0300, Michel Fortin
<michel.fortin at michelf.com> wrote:

> On 2011-01-30 03:05:59 -0500, Gary Whatmore <no at spam.sp> said:
>
>> D's main focus currently is 32-bit x86 servers and desktop
>> applications. This is where the big market has traditionally been. Not
>> everyone has 64-bit hardware and I have my doubts about the size of the
>> smartphone markets.
>
> I think the important point here is ARM, not smartphones.
>
> ARM processors will soon start to enter other markets, mainly the server
> and laptop markets, both very sensitive to power consumption issues.
> Dual-core ARM processors aren't targeted at smartphones, and many
> servers aren't that much concerned with binary compatibility with older
> software so it's easy to switch them.
>
> Without an ARM backend, we'll be left in the cold eventually. The only
> question in my mind is when.

I can't help myself but mention Tablet PCs that are gaining momentum. Many
of the newest tablets are going to use dual core ARMs (as announced in a
recent Consumer Electronic Show 2011).
Also Sony Computer Entertainment just announced their next handheld
console (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Portable_successor).
It's based on quad core ARM Cortex-A9.

That said I really hope D gets an ARM backend. While it isn't likely for a
DMD to happen, it could for LDC.