Is D not-for-profit or not?!

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jan 30 08:41:01 PST 2011

On 01/30/2011 08:06 AM, Heywood Floyd wrote:
> Jeff Nowakowski Wrote:
>
>> There's nothing wrong with being in it for money, but it would be
>> nice to know up front and in what manner.
>

> I've been meaning to ask, and I'll just take this oppurtunity, and it
> relates to what Jeff just said:
>
> If one would like to donate money to D, how would one do that? Would
> it even make any sense? Or be needed?
>
> And this naturally raises the question: Who/what owns D? Is it a
> non-profit, a group of people, or a business? And regardless of who
> owns D, is there any D-only organisation that one could support,
> financially? I'm not demanding an answer, I'm just sharing my
> thoughts.
>
> I mean, it would feel weird to donate money to Digital Mars, a
> for-profit company, that does all kinds of things, including C++,
> right? If I was to feel confident in donating it would have to be to
> some sort of formally founded non-profit legal body with some sort of
> constitution like "to further the development of D" or something. I
> don't know how these things work. I guess right now D is too small
> and the legal cost of just maintaining such an organisation would
> surpass any donations anyway.
>

> BR /HF

The best thing for D would be if a large company with a FOSS presence
would use it. That means people would be implicitly paid for using and
contributing to D. It would also instil confidence in other companies to
use the language.

Beyond that, there is this site (I forgot the name) that allows people
to offer and ask money for certain projects. I guess that would be a way
to fund D projects.

Andrei