On 80 columns should (not) be enough for everyone

Matthias Walter xammy at xammy.homelinux.net
Sun Jan 30 10:07:42 PST 2011

On 01/30/2011 01:01 PM, Peter Alexander wrote:
> On 30/01/11 5:17 PM, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> The unittest topic is about to get derailed so I want to continue
>> this silly discussion here.
>>
>> Wheres Nick? I want to see the CRT vs LCD discussion heated up again
>> with Andrei claiming that LCDs are so Godlike but yet claims 80
>> columns is enough for everyone.
>>
>> 80 colums is an artifact of the old age. Just like the preprocessor
>> is an artifact of the C language. And many other old things are
>> artifacts. There's no reason to keep these artifacts around anymore.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Is this really worth arguing about?
>
> Just stick to 80 columns. It's not a big deal.
One argument that I can think of is to at least raise the number of
allowed columns. Why? Well, phobos' names like tr will be (or are)
refactored to translate and with camelcase we encourage people to use
descriptive names. And with template parameters and everything I do not
want to call functions, putting 1 argument on every line. I'd suggest
raising it to 120 or 150...