On 80 columns should (not) be enough for everyone

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Jan 30 10:46:03 PST 2011

On 01/30/2011 12:27 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>> 80 columns
>> wasn't determined by some scientific method to be a good size for
>> code, it's
>> a product of limitations of the older generation hardware.
>
> 80 columns came from how many characters would fit on a standard size
> 8.5*11 sheet of paper. Even punch cards followed this precedent.
>
> That paper size has stood the test of time as being a comfortable size
> for reading. Reading longer lines is fatiguing, as when one's eyes
> "carriage return" they tend to go awry.
>
> You can see this yourself if you resize and reflow a text web site to be
> significantly wider than 80 columns. It gets harder to read.

Also: pick a random book or newspaper and count the characters in a
line. They range between 60 and 80, counting for about 10 words per
line. This has been the case ever writing systems have been invented. It
is a fallacy to assume that 80 has anything to do with the first
monitors. In fact, it's the opposite - the monitors were conceived
following a universal human constant.

One funny thing is that at my employer (where each and every employee
has a 30" 2560x1600 monitor) everything is under constant debate,
starting with which email server and ending with choosing UserId versus
UserID. Nobody and not once has debated the 80 column rule.

Phobosians have voted with their fingers. Long lines in Phobos are rare
and the result of lack of enforcement, not a stylistic choice. Jonathan
simply didn't know about that, and has graciously agreed to align to
that convention (thanks!).

Andrei