(Was: On 80 columns should (not) be enough for everyone)

foobar foo at bar.com
Mon Jan 31 10:03:00 PST 2011

Michel Fortin Wrote:

> On 2011-01-31 02:18:26 -0500, foobar <foo at bar.com> said:
>
> > Phobos is a very good product that I for one will never use. Just
> > looking at the one huge page for algorithms is enough to discourage
> > many people.
>
> But is Phobos the problem or is the one-page-per-module documentation
> the problem?
>
> --
> Michel Fortin
> michel.fortin at michelf.com
> http://michelf.com/

Phobos' organization is the problem. If you read the C++ standard you'll see that their description of the stdlib describes <algorithm> as a library. Hence, c++'s design is a single file per library. Phobos does exactly the same mistake.

D has a far superior module system that doesn't require this moronic design. Please let's use it.

I have a hard time believing that having a separate doc page per function is a better solution than to properly organize the code.