(Was: On 80 columns should (not) be enough for everyone)

foobar foo at bar.com
Mon Jan 31 10:56:59 PST 2011

Walter Bright Wrote:

> foobar wrote:
> > Java (the language itself) is mediocre at best but the Java standard
> > libraries are excellent with comprehensive usable documentation to boot.
> >
> > Phobes is half a notch above c++ stdlib which is the worst ever from a
> > usability and readability perspective. Are we still using G-d files? really?
>
> Please take a module or function in the phobos documentation, and rewrite it to
> how you think it should be done and post it, as an example of how to do it
> right. We welcome such help.

My complaint is not about the implementation itself as it is about it's API.
Java is an excellent example of many very usable APIs, meaning that it very easy to both read Java code and understand what the functions do and write code that's just as readable *without* RTFM.

When I learned C++ in university, my notoriously demanding professor said that code should be self documenting and that comments are meant to compensate for poorly written code.