(Was: On 80 columns should (not) be enough for everyone)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 11:07:16 PST 2011

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:09:01 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 01/31/2011 01:18 AM, foobar wrote:

>> You completely miss the most important principle - it doesn't matter
>> how good and efficient your product is if no one's using it. Phobos
>> is a very good product that I for one will never use. Just looking at
>> the one huge page for algorithms is enough to discourage many
>> people.
>
>  From what I've seen, everyone who advocates D2 mentions std.algorithm
> as one of its main strengths, and never as a liability. I have
> difficulty reconciling that signal with one opinion relayed anonymously.

I think the main problem is with ddoc.  This, from std.algorithm is a
f**king mess IMO:

Jump to: BoyerMooreFinder EditOp Group NWayUnion OpenRight SetDifference
SetIntersection SetSymmetricDifference SetUnion SortOutput Splitter
SwapStrategy Uniq Until balancedParens boyerMooreFinder bringToFront
canFind completeSort copy count endsWith equal fill filter find
findAdjacent findAmong group indexOf initializeAll insert isPartitioned
isSorted largestPartialIntersection largestPartialIntersectionWeighted
levenshteinDistance levenshteinDistanceAndPath makeIndex map max min
minCount minPos mismatch move moveAll moveSome nWayUnion no none
partialSort partition reduce remove reverse schwartzSort semistable
setDifference setIntersection setSymmetricDifference setUnion skipOver
sort splitter stable startsWith substitute swap swapRanges topN topNCopy
uninitializedFill uniq unstable until yes

(in voice of comic-book guy) Worst navigation bar ever.

-Steve