(Was: On 80 columns should (not) be enough for everyone)

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Mon Jan 31 11:35:00 PST 2011

On 2011-01-31 14:13:40 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu

> Let's fix it! I'm thinking along the lines of finding some broad groups, e.g.
>
> Searching
>
> find until mismatch startsWith ...
>
> Sorting
>
> sort partialSort partition ...
>
> Set operations
>
> setUnion setDifference ...
>
> ...?
>
> We'd eliminate the unstructured "jump to" section and we create the
> grouping by hand (sigh).

Please do. Grouping by task is very useful when you're searching for a
particular function.

That said, it'd help if Ddoc could help too... For documenting
Objective-C files I have made my own documentation generator (written
in D!) which gives you this kind of output:
<http://michelf.com/projects/asounding/reference/class-ASNEngine.html>

For generating the above page, all I have to do in my header file is to
specify which documentation group each function belongs to and the rest
is done automatically. Here's the corresponding header file; notice I
only have to write a @group directive when the group changes, not for
each function:
<http://michelf.com/docs/tests/ASNEngine.h>

--