Is D still alive?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Jan 31 11:52:03 PST 2011

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:43:37 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 20:16:54 -0500, Walter Bright
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> I can't buy "enterprise" support,
>>
>> Of course you can!
>
> No really, I can't afford it ;)
>
> But seriously, I find it hard to believe that you can buy enterprise
> support for D if it means that you do the work.  There's only one you.
> So at some point, you might be spread too thin between adding new
> features, posting to this newsgroup, and supporting all enterprise
> customers.
>
> Any estimate you can give on how many such customers you have?

The fact that the final specification and design rationale of D is
undocumented and in Walter's head means that no other person can sell
that kind of deep enterprise support because it's not clear how the
language should work. The rest of us can only guess. It also means that
the more Walter spends time on enterprise support, the less he has time
to work on D. The best for D might be to not buy any support at all. All
the conferences and events are just distracting D's development.

I think the same applies to Phobos 2.. only Andrei knows the design well
enough and knows how it's going to change in the future. No matter how
much time one spends studying D or the ecosystem or how D is used in the
enterprise world, one simply can't obtain any reasonable level of
knowledge to become a "certified" authority in this community.

About the enterprise support... I haven't seen any material from Walter
targeting professional D developers, only advertisements for people who
have never used D. Maybe the hardcore stuff isn't publicly available.

The commercial language consultancy support I've seen is that consultants
with 20+ years of enterprise "C++ experience" teach young developers with
only ~1-5 years of enterprise experience with the platform. Typically
even the fresh juniors have some experience with the platform (via
university training) and the in-house seniors with 3+ years of experience
help them to get more familiar with the platform used in the company.
It's also very rare to only focus on the language, usually the frameworks
and toolchain are the major culprits. YMMV of course and the world is
full of all kinds of bullshit consultancy.