Is D still alive?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Mon Jan 31 12:26:22 PST 2011

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 11:53:34 -0800, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

>> > Well, if nobody acted as a guinea pig, no issues would be uncovered
>> > ;) And though I already encountered several blocker bugs myself I got
>> > the feeling that the situation has become way better. Of course if,
>> > for some reason, you absolutely need x64 or have a hard deadline for
>> > your project then D1 is probably the better way to go.
>>
>> Andrei put for the question once of, "How many issues would users run
>> across if they stuck to those features that are also available in
>> v1.0?"
>>
>> I think the answer would be more then sticking with a D1 compiler, but
>> not nearly the number people do hit, which is also diminishing rapidly.
>>
>> I do not think there is an issue with using D2 in a new project, but if
>> you have to ask you probably should go with D1. I say this because
>> someone who is aware of the issues present in the language is able to
>> decide if their desired project would be hindered by the bug. There are
>> definitely some projects, with constraints which would not make D a
>> very good choice.
>>
>> For example D would make a great language on an embedded device, but
>> currently the first one to take it on will have a massive overhead to
>> make it work.
>
> Personally, I find that it's issues such as not being able to link C or
> C++ code compiled by Microsoft's compiler with code compiled by dmd
> which would stop be me from being able to use D in projects at work. The
> stability of the compiler is an issue, but the linker issue totally
> kills it before the stability issue would even come up. Pretty much
> everything I work on at work has to run on both Linux and Windows (and
> soon Mac OS X), and we use Microsoft's compiler here, so D could would
> _have_ to be able to link with code compiled by Microsoft's compiler.
> The issue of D1 or D2 is completely irrelevant.

I don't do Windows development, but not being able to use popular third
party development tools because of object file format issues sounds like
a huge problem. I did a quick look at the digitalmars site. The
limitation is only mentioned once in the FAQ section. A competent
programmer might also discover that by reading the optlink page.

Also no mention of the quality of D2 toolchain. "1.030 stable", "1.066
latest", and mysterious "2.051". I would assume it's stable. But like
Ulrik said "the kind of bug-reports I hear frustration around, it seems
D2 should still be considered beta"