Is D still alive?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Mon Jan 31 14:12:56 PST 2011

retard wrote:
> The fact that the final specification and design rationale of D is
> undocumented and in Walter's head means that no other person can sell
> that kind of deep enterprise support because it's not clear how the
> language should work.

Oh rubbish. C++ was highly successful in the enterprise for 15 years before it
got a formal specification.

> The rest of us can only guess. It also means that
> the more Walter spends time on enterprise support, the less he has time
> to work on D. The best for D might be to not buy any support at all. All
> the conferences and events are just distracting D's development.

More nonsense. Supporting users, etc., keeps me current on what the real
problems and needs are.

> I think the same applies to Phobos 2.. only Andrei knows the design well
> enough and knows how it's going to change in the future. No matter how
> much time one spends studying D or the ecosystem or how D is used in the
> enterprise world, one simply can't obtain any reasonable level of
> knowledge to become a "certified" authority in this community.

Official "certs" in the software biz are bullsh*t. I've never seen much of any
correspondence between certs and competency.

> About the enterprise support... I haven't seen any material from Walter
> targeting professional D developers, only advertisements for people who
> have never used D. Maybe the hardcore stuff isn't publicly available.

If you mean slick brochures and Tom Hopkins trained pitches, no, that's not what
I do. I help people who ask for services.