Why I'm hesitating to switch to D

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Jul 1 02:02:39 PDT 2011

On 2011-07-01 02:19, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> I switched to dvorak _and_ got one of these: http://www.kinesis-
> ergo.com/advantage.htm
>
> No one is going to be using my computer with my keyboard. Though honestly, as
> much as I like dvorak, I wouldn't advise that anyone switch to it. Too many
> programs assume qwerty, so all of their shortcuts are designed for it. Stuff
> like the shortcuts for cut, copy, and paste are on completely different places
> on the keyboard and don't work as well (only cut can be done with just your
> left hand). I had to completely remap vim to be able to use it. Other programs
> need their keys or shortcuts remapped to work very well. It just causes
> problems for stuff that assumes qwerty. So, it's likely more pain than its
> worth. My keyboard is awesome regardless of whether you use qwerty or dvork
> though. I can actually type numbers on it without looking, which I could never
> do on a normal keyboard, because the keys aren't vertically aligned on a
> normal keyboard. It's expensive, but I'm quite happy that I bought it.
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

Using this keyboard: http://www.typematrix.com with the dvorak layout
you can use other keys then ctrl+x/c/v for cut, copy and paste. If you
look in the store, and choose "Skin Only" and then dvorka you can see it
has keys for cut, copy and paste in similar places where ctrl+x/c/v
would be on a normal keyboard.

--
/Jacob Carlborg